Monday, July 11, 2011

Painting With Hats

Have you tried this yet?

Tape paint brushes to a child's dress-up construction hat.

Add paint and an upright easel (you can tape paper to a wall, or use an actual easel). 

At first, they mostly concentrated on wearing the hat, while simultaneously using their hands to control the brushes.

Ayden even took off his hat, and just used his hands at first.

The hats kept slipping off, so it was necessary to keep both hands on their hat while painting.


Two different approaches to making marks.

I had to blot out her face, but there is such concentration going on, I wish I didn't have to!

I love this activity, because it is a whole-body experience.

You have to think outside the normal confines of painting, and use your head--pretty tricky for a three year old!

It was pretty entertaining watching them dip the paint brushes.

There were no individual papers. This was a process-oriented, group project.

Everyone made a contribution...


When they were all dry, they were put up for display, along with photos of the activity.



















 Happy playing!

9 comments:

  1. I gotta ask - how dirty did their faces get? :) How'd you ever come up with this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jamie...not too bad! Actually, their hair and hands got it the worst, but it was all pretty easily washed off.

    @Mille...Actually it's not that original (on my part, at least!) I got the idea from the Ooey Gooey books by Lisa Murphy. Look her up. She has fantastic, creative ideas for things to do in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I am so curious if my kids would go for this. I *think* they would get a kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I love it! What a great idea! I just love the Ooey Gooey lady; she is so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and please, please, go add this to It's Playtime. Our readers will love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great inclusive activity. Wondering maybe add a shower cap under hat to keep the hair clean if necessary? Also would be a good activity to encourage disability awareness. Some children access a computer using a pointer on a hat. Place to share this activity on my blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I had no idea. Thank you for making me think of this from a different angle...I am always looking for more ways to increase awareness of disabilities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This idea was so creatively messy that I featured you this week on It's Playtime! Thanks for playing with us!

    Rachele @ Messy Kids

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comment! Happy playing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...